Author Topic: Moons over My Magey  (Read 3929 times)

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
Moons over My Magey
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »
I was thinking about putting this post in the armour section, but since gulca mentioned the moons in this thread I thought I would put it here.

The three moons are an integral part of the Krynn game world and I would love to see a clearly defined role for them in Mage game mechanics.

Possible bonuses should be spell power (eg. full 10% damage bonus, duration bonus and save bonus, new moon same in negative), enchant spell bonuses and penalties which should increase substantially at times when all three moons are full (this spell could be revamped to provide temporary boosts to most equipment rather than permanent bonuses to non magic eq), memorisation bonuses and negatives, and finally bonus and minus spell slots.

Druids and rangers should have a nature system to govern spell power, duration, damage with penalties in non natural environments.

Clerics, shamans, paladins and dark knights could be affected by the implementation of holy and unholy room flag for cemeteries and temples etc giving bonuses or penalties depending on alignment.

The reason behind this is to try to create more variability between the different casting classes. I am sensing that simple is the new preference of the creators, but dynamic systems such as the moon or room bonuses and penalties allow for higher levels of strategy which help to keep interest...

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
Re: Moons over My Magey
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
I split this post out of the Spell Slots discussion and moved it here because it was a total thread hijack.

That said, I will respond here.

We haven't discussed moons at all, yet.  Moons will be part of the mage design discussion when we get there.

We are currently designing base systems that interact with all or most of the classes, not class specifics.  If we spend time in these base designs trying to account for everything we might want to do on every guild we would either never finish or end up with a mess.  The design is layered:  Get the base laid out and simple, design the classes in the abstract, design the classes in the specific, add layers to the base design that interact with the class specifics (this is where moons come in).

We are almost done with all base design stuff, just twiddling some bits.  Then we start on classes.  Moons are coming, I swear.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »
Jarrad your dynamic system for mages is complete bullshit.  Why do mages have penalties/bonuses which are available to them any time a moon is in a certain position.  Maybe in this proposed idea you should suggest that the moons only affect them when they are outdoors and can see the moon (not blocked by clouds). Restricting other casters to certain rooms is EXTREMELY LIMITED and UNBALANCED.  This is part of the reason they had to change the way commune with nature worked in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:22:02 AM by eddiex »

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
@eddiex

The moons of Krynn are one of the unique things about Dragonlance compared to other D&D world. That is why it must be in the game in some form! Just like kenders.

You are right though about being practical and balance.

@Aristox

Sorry about the thread hijack. I didn't see any side notes in the main thread about other mechanics that will add to +slots and assumed there won't be any.

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
Eddiex, forget about the world of Krynn, the moon has real affects on all life on earth, not seeing it does not change that at all...

Regards balance, these bonuses and penalties should be a minor variation, your core damage is not going to fluctuate wildly... There is no restriction to certain rooms, just minor bonuses or penalties to certain rooms...

If you don't like the Druid class, don't play it... But it seems pretty obvious that as a class, nature and the natural world will play a role in shaping the specific future dynamics of the class... I could write a completely different post on revamp ideas for Druids and did so on the old forum, not today though...